Willington power station was built in the 1950’s next to the river Trent and close to the Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire coalfields, at the time thought in-exhaustible. Initial plans were to have two cooling towers and four generators – “Willington A”. During construction, “Willington B” was commissioned, with three more cooling towers and two generators.
Privatisation ensued, and National Power eventually decommissioned the station – A closing in 1995, and B following in 1999.
That’s a very concise history – more detailed information can be found on the excellent Brief History of Willington Power Station website.
Not a lot remains at Willington power station today – just five cooling towers.
These are 300ft high and have a 218ft diameter at the base (compared to 340/260 at Thorpe Marsh).
Unlike Thorpe Marsh, there are still structures inside all of the cooling towers. And they’ve got water in. The structures inside meant you couldn’t really look up and appreciate the scale of them.
There wasn’t much laying around. Some old signs. Remnants of the railway system. Rubble.