During WWII, a prisoner of war camp was built on the outskirts of Brigg, in Lincolnshire. It was used to house around 750 Italian and Germany prisoners. There were 35 huts on site – 23 for prisoners and the remainder for guards.
During the 1950s, the role of the site was drastically changed – it was used as a holiday camp. Well, a farming-holiday camp for the local farm. People would book in for a week, have a bit of a holiday and work on the farm. It closed during the 1980s. Some parts are still used by the farm to store machinery, but it is in a rather bad state.
The first thing you see when entering the camp is the huge water tower. It was also used to store items like towels and boots.
The huts were of a standard pre-fab design and built by the prisoners in 1942/1943.
Inside them was unusual. Some had been totally stripped. Some in original condition. And some covered with gaudy wallpaper from the 1970s. It was unusual to see the contrasting interiors!
A few baths, beds, toilets, chairs and other fittings remained.
There were lots of old bits lying around. Books from 1943. Suitcases. Old shoes. Egg records. Allsorts. It was like a minature museum.
Several rooms were covered in prisoners’ art – ranging from Goofy to Nazi chickens, via raunchy ladies.